David Chenu

David Chenu
Blog... Blog...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Inception, the movie

I finally watched the movie Inception the other day.  I'm glad I did.  I understand why a lot of people wanted to see it several times.  In my opinion, the manipulation of a plot with several levels of action and reality with different concepts of time all happening at once was excellently done.  Just the idea in itself is incredible.  Hats off to Christopher Nolan for the conception of this story.  I was also a fan of his movie Memento, from 2000.


SPOILER ALERT!
If you haven't seen the movie then don't continue reading. 


So far I have seen several different interpretations of the end.  According to Nolan, you never see whether or not the top falls or keeps spinning at the end.  What he says is the most important is that diCaprio's character doesn't even wait to see, he looks at his children instead.  My interpretation is that actually the whole movie is a dream, from beginning to end.  There is no reality being shown at all.  This hypothesis is not really supported by anything except the fact that the whole idea is so dream-ish and far_fetched already.  In order to believe that they were in a form of reality, then you have to accept the whole idea of entering people's dream, being chased around the globe by corporations, the architects, the sedation and so on.  Of course, I don't think that all sci-fi movies are like that, just this one!  Anyway, I am open to other ideas. 

I think in order to have a clearer idea of the movie and have a deeper understanding, I would really need to take the time to watch it again and also perhaps even watch the commentary from the director and the cast and crew.

Overall, thumbs up.  It makes you think and doesn't put all the ideas on a platter for you, which is rare for an American action film.



http://davidchenu.blogspot.com/
http://digg.com/davidchenu
http://twitter.com/#!/davidchenu73

No comments:

Post a Comment